Although I've been meaning to do it for a while, I just recently made a bucket list. I realized that it was time to stop putting things off. I'm very good at procrastinating, you see. Normally I sit around waiting for the right time to do things, like reading books I've been meaning to read, or trying foods I've not had the courage to try. The thing that made me start my list, however, was a death in the family. My uncle recently got killed on the job. He drove a rig for a living and was driving gasoline the day he died. He collided with another rig (which was also driving gasoline). Needless to say, there was an explosion and my uncle died, just 28 years old.... I was told about the accident the day after it happened and, I have to be honest, it didn't sink in right away. I kept thinking they probably didn't have all the information yet and people were just assuming the worst. I kept thinking he would show up at home and comfort his partner and their three daughters. So I just went on with my normal life and almost put the accident from my mind. Later that day my mom sent me a link from a local newspaper where it said my uncle was declared dead on the spot. Again, he was only 28 years old! He didn't even have time to live one third of his life! Then it hit me, he really was dead. I couldn't help but think about how his family was doing, because I was sitting on the couch looking at a picture of him balling like a baby. He wouldn't ever be able to comfort his partner again, or show her he loves her. He wouldn't be able to take his shirt off and make his stupid-ass comments. He wouldn't be able to see his girls graduate from school, or see them get their first jobs, or get married. It seems so unfair, yet anyone who knew him knows he's probably looking down on us all telling us to stop balling over him and get on with our lives. That is little help though. It won't bring him back, although his memory is fresh in our minds.... The thought of him dying at such a young age made me even more aware of the fact that I'm not immortal. I'm going to die, you're going to die and we have no garantee of when. That would be wonderful though, wouldn't it, knowing exactly when you were going to die? What would you do with your life if you knew when you would stuff it? These were the kinds of questions running through my mind. My answer to the last question was that I didn't know, or rather, I knew, but there were too many things to do stuck up there in my mind that I couldn't make sense of it all. Therefore I decided to make a bucket list.
![]() |
| <3 My uncle. <3 |

No comments:
Post a Comment