Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Knitting!

I guess it's been a while, but at least I can say I've crossed off a few more things on my list. Since last time I've watched The Godfather, which was a bit different than I thought it was going to be. It's perhaps a bit wierd I haven't seen it until recently since it's such a seemingly popular movie. I mean, who hasn't heard someone say, "I'm gonna give him an offer he can't refuse"?

I've also started reading Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes. So far Cervantes seems to love writing all the small details (I guess a bit like J.R.R.Tolkien), which is a good thing because you learn so much. But at the same time I like books where you're thrown right into the action and almost dissapear in the plot (become a part of the story). I was surprised to find out that the book is as old as it is, because I thought it was written a bit later than 1605. Goes to show I'm always learning new things.

I'm studying to become a teacher, and this year I'm taking gym and home economics at school. I really love both subjects, but lately I've been trying to learn more about food science and molecular gastronomy. Because of that I've also started reading a book called Molecular Gastronomy - Exploring the Science of Flavor by Hervé This. So far the book is very enlightening and written in a way which is easy to understand. I recommend it to anyone interested in learning the effects of cooking methods. I've of course not finished reading it yet, but so far I've learned some smart tricks that help my food taste better (not that it's ineatable from before :p).

The most recent thing I've crossed off my bucket list is learning to knit. I knew how to knit from before, but I really wanted to learn how to knit things I use a lot like mittens and wollen socks. In Norway everyone has to learn to knit at school. We of course learn the most basic knitting skills, so I learned how to make a hat and scarf. Afterwards, I've tried to knit mittens but not succeeded. I've gotten to the thumb and not gotten any further. You can perhaps imagine I have quite a few unfinished projects.... I've asked people who know how if they could teach me, but still not understood how to knit the thumb. Then last sunday, I was eating at my mother-in-laws' house and we got to talking about it. She told me about a web-site someone at work had told her about. She went to the site and showed me. I, of course, was a little bit sceptical, but the website turned out to be fantastic! It has a lot of videos of how to do the different knitting techniques. So I got really geared up, went to the hobby store and bought some new (bigger) needles and some yarn. Then I started knitting, and today (4 days later) I finished the mittens (yay me!).

They're by no means perfect, but I acctually did it! The next project is going to be finishing another mitten project I started last year (a bit more difficult than the ones I just made). Then when I finish those, I'm going to start making some wollen socks. If any of you are having the same problems as me (not understanding how to do the different knitting techniques), I would really recommend this site: http://garnstudio.com/index_lang.php

Until next time, good reading and knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment