Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 23

My English lesson went a lot better today. I decided I'd try something new with the class. Up til now I've been talking very loudly so I'm sure the pupil's can hear me. Today, I decided to talk softly so the pupils would have to be quiet to be able to hear what I said. Guess what? It worked. They listened to me, and were quiet when I talked. It might have also been because of the theme we were talking about though. We talked about tourisim, tourist attractions here in Livingstone and tourist attractions at home in Norway. 

I had brought a calender as a gift, and decided I could use it in my class. I'm really glad I did. They seemed totally enthralled by the pictures. I, of course, had to explain some of the pictures to them and they seemed amazed. They were particularly amazed by the thought of the midnight sun, the northern lights and total darkness during the winter months. 

I had thought of making the kids do exercises at the end of class, but I wanted to see if I could teach them a canon my teacher had taught us at home. I tried, but they became too roudy. I had told them that if they became roudy we would do the exercises in stead, so we ended class with the exercises. I was really happy about being able to start my weekend out knowing that class seemingly went so well. 

The kids had training for the athletics competition after school. We had decided yesterday that we wanted to be a part of that. So we changed into our sports clothes and went out to be with the students. It was fun. Some pupils came up to me and decided they wanted to "be my friends". Lol! I really tried to remember all their names, but I have to be honest; I suck! It takes me forever to remember names. Faces are a different story, but that doesn't count....

Anyway, my companion and I raced (100 meters) with the kids. As we were walking back a lot of the first graders came up to me and decided they wanted to hold my hand while we were walking. I thought that was sweet. When we got back I was asked by one of my students if I was tired. I told him, not really. Then he wanted to know if he could race me as well. I thought, what the heck. I knew he would probably win because of his long legs and his being so young, but I like running. I was able to keep up with him until the last 5 meters, where I was able to trip and fall. I got up again quickly to try to make my fall less visible. I really hope I'm not given grief from my student since I lost (he's been one of the students who's talked a lot in class). 

Other than that we've not done much today. After we had eaten dinner we went to the store because we were out of water and stuff. My companion paid for her stuff first, then I paid for my stuff. As I was walking to the exit I saw her talking to one of the locals (he was holding a baby girl). At first I thought she knew him from before, but that wasn't the case. It was a bit uncomfortable because we're still not totally used to the African way of doing things (talking to everyone you're interested in). He wanted our numbers and wanted to meet with us next week some time. I was quite sceptical, so I was glad when he gave us his number instead of us giving him ours. I was also very relieved to see our taxi driver. He saved us! *insert smiley*

Here's hoping you all have a great weekend! Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment