Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Day 35

This is what I wrote on Thursday: 

My first bus ticket in Zambia.
 
”First thoughts while on the bus were why haven’t I taken the bus anywhere before? It was soothing and relaxing to be on the move. I was also a little worried because I had not clue where I was supposed to get off.
    
Then I got to talking with the man sitting next to me. He seemed nice and I was surprised at how well educated he seemed. We exchanged emails, and soon after that his stop came.
    
As I arrived at Mwandi I felt stupid for having been nervous before. Anyone with eyes couldn’t miss it. I had been told I would be met at the bus hut, but couldn’t see anyone other than the ladies trying to sell fish. Then a few mins. Later a man showed up. We drove back to the main campsite, and I was given the tour. I’m all alone with the people who work here until tomorrow night, which is both cozy and stressing at the same time.
    
I’ve felt a load of emotions since I arrived; awquardness, sympathy, irritation over my ability to jump into things without too much thought, happiness, etc. 

Not many dishes, but I was still allowed to wash them.
 
At the moment I’m hoping these two nights will go quickly because of all the bugs and the feeling of having stepped into the 19th century. I washed my own dishes for the first time since I left home, the bathroom is a hole in the ground, and I’m living in a tent. I guessed I would be, and it’s a lot better than what I expected, it’s just not what I’m accustomed to.
    
I hope my experience gets better tomorrow. Don’t get me wrong, the people seem very nice. It’s the lifestyle that is making me miss Livingstone’s lifestyle (which is saying something seeing as Livingstone is primitive in comparison to home). I arrived at “proper, proper” Africa.”


No comments:

Post a Comment