Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Day 36

What I wrote yesterday: 
 
“Didn’t really sleep all that well last night. There was a lot of noises (to be expected since we’re in the middle of nowhere) from all the animals/bugs, as well as the night guard. The thought of getting up doesn’t really appeal to me, but I have to.”
  
The old man we were building the mud hut for was living in his kitchen (this building) after his other house collapsed.

 (…) “The day got better, but at first it was really awquard. It seemed like the locals would rather I was a guy. I was even more eager to do a good job after seeing their reactions to me. I got to pick logs and put them in holes which had been dug. Then I was allowed to dig some holes. The first two went quick, the next two a bit slower because I had to cut through a weaved plastic sack. I think I may have gained a bit more respect after that though.
   
The outlines of the mudhut.

After digging the holes I helt the logs in place so one of the guys could fill the holes. Then it was time to cut out spaces in the top rafters for the tops of the logs. I got to try sawing and chopping the spaces. Let me tell you, these guys make it look so easy. In reality it’s no where near easy.
    
Mwandi basic school (one of the three buildings where 1600 students go).
One of the water pumps in town (where people get clean drinking water).
Had seen something on animal planet about these birdies.

I feel like I’m gaining a friend in one of the guys who works here. We seem to get along well. I wonder how many of these people I’ll ever see/talk to again….
    
Amazing and sad to think that tomorrow is my second to last day here in Zambia. I really hope I make it back at some point, and that I’m able to make the best of tomorrow.”

No comments:

Post a Comment