Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Day 3

We were planning on catching breakfast here at the lodge this morning (so far we've not eaten breakfast in the restaurant, although it's included), but we ended up walking to Shoprite (the biggest actual grocery store in Livingstone) instead. There I found out they sell sausage rolls! Naturally I had to buy some and find out if they were as good as the ones in England. The pastry was not as flakey and the sausage was spiced differently. So not the same, but ok. The highlight of breakfast was therefore guava juice. Yummy! I found out later during the day that today is the sun day at home, so I was a bit iffed about not having gotten a jellyfilled doughnut (which is tradition on the day the sun comes back at home). Oh well....

After breakfast we went to the seemstresses to give her our fabric and pick out patterns. She seemed like a very nice lady and very talented at what she does. She gave a lot of good advice and took our measurements. My companion ordered a skirt and I ordered 2 dresses, which you'll hopefully see pictures of on thursday. I really hope they look good (I had to ask her to make adjustments to the pattern because of the dresscode at school --> sleaves, skirt below knees, no cleavage or back showing). 

At the seemstresses.

Taking measurements.
 We got to experience "African time" properly today. We were expecting to meet up with my teacher and his family at around 12. When do you think we ended up meeting them? *insert smiley sticking tounge out* At 13.30. Lol! I wonder how school will be when we start (if they also run on "African time", or if they stick to the schedule), and also if I'll try using "African time" when I get home to Norway. Somehow I don't think people at home will be too thrilled if I come late (yet, I guess I've always been late to non-official things anyway).
A flower I found, forget where.

Anywho, we took a taxi to Victoria Falls with my teachers' sister and her boyfriend. They seemed very nice and social. Her boyfriend asked the cabby about baobab tree. I had no idea what he was going on about, but the taxi driver told him there was one on the way to the falls. We drove up to see it and found out it cost money to veiw it! Wow, I never thought we "tourists" would be milked this much. It was a very big tree though, and they had made a ladder next to it so people could see the upper parts it as well. He was told that it was over 200 years old. I was suprised to see that there were so many carvings in the tree though. You would think they would take better care of their prized tree? Perhaps there's a story behind it I've not heard. After he promised to come back the following day (to see more thoroughly and pay) we were driven to Victoria Falls.

First sight of Victoria Falls.
Tickets please!
The Falls were amazing! We took as many pictures as we dared (it was very wet, which was a bad thing for our cameras). We were also able to see the bridge where the bungee jump is (on the Zimbabwe side of the border). I didn't realize it was so far down... *gulp* (don't worry, still hoping to get a jump in before I leave) When we were on our way out I found a flower I wanted to take a picture of. I tried taking a picture and realized that I perhaps needed to put the filter on the lense, because there was too much light to be able to see the colors properly. Suddenly while I'm fiddling with the filter I see/hear everyone else come running back the way they came, screaming "bavian!" (baboon). Of course I joined them because I've never encoutered one and had no idea what they usually do to people. So no flower *insert frowny face*. The scene was a bit comical though. A baboon chasing 9 people through the jungle, one of which is trying to put her camera away while running. 

The Falls.
Seen from a different veiw.
Bungee jumping bridge.

We headed to Zambezi Sun (a upper-class hotel) for lunch. It was nice to be amoung other tourists/whites because I wasn't stared at! I went swimming with the kids after lunch and had a great time. I got a little bit sunburnt, but was acctually suprised at how little I was burnt (I usually turn lobster red all over...). I was given a very good tip when my husband and I were on Interrail last year. The tip was that we should use 50+ SPF since our skin is so white. I didn't follow her advice then and had a heat stroke because of it. I've learned my lesson. I've only been using 50 SPF since I got here, and it seems to work quite well.

After swimming for a few hours, we headed over to a nabouring hotel (Royal Livingstone) to see if we maybe could see some hippos or crocodiles. No such luck. We heard the hippos "laughing" at us (probably because we couldn't see them, and therefore couldn't take pictures), but other than that: zilch. 

The monkey started crying. Guess it didn't like us taking pictures.
Me and my companion at Royal Livingstone.
Me at Royal Livingstone.


Clouds

I know I've written more than enough now (I almost feel sorry for you *smiley sticking tounge out*), but the last thing I want to tell you about is the taxis here in Livingstone. My companion and I learned an important lesson today. We wanted to get back to Chanters after having bought provissions for tomorrow, but we wanted to say a proper goodbye/goodnight to everyone else first (btw, that didn't really happen). Therefore: we waited outside the store and met who we thought was a cabby. He said he could drive us, and frankly I was too tired to start doubting his truthfullness. We said we were waiting for someone and he told us he'd wait too. We ended up going to his car and it wasn't the blue taxis we were used to seeing/riding in. We got in anyway (which we perhaps shouldn't have done) and started driving. It was then I realized that there wasn't a handle on my side of the car... My teacher called and I was then told that we should only take the blue taxis. All others were pirate taxis. Luckily everything worked out (we had arranged the price before we left) and we got back to Chanters ok. So if you ever find yourself in Livingstone: only use the blue taxis!

No comments:

Post a Comment