Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Day 8

So much to tell today...

It's been a good day.

I went to DALICE all by myself (and managed to drive with the wrong taxi driver, although his name was the same....). When I got there I found myself all alone and a little scared. *insert smiley sticking tounge out* I sent a message to my teacher asking where I could find him and his wife, and of course managed to use the remaining cash on my cashcard. I recieved a reply which told me they hadn't come to school yet. I stood there wondering what the heck I was doing at school, when I suddenly saw one of the physical education teachers walk by. I had wanted to participate in two lectures, his and one of the teachers who has been in my home town. So he allowed me to tag along.

It was interesting to see how similar a lot of things are here and at home. There was some confusion as to where the P.E. teachers' class was, and we found out that they had something else in first period. So the P.E. lecture got moved to second period. It was a very interesting lecture. It seems they go more into the knitty, gritty stuff here. Today we talked about "sports, athletics, games, ballgames" meanings. The teacher used basic language and made the class laugh a lot. He seems like such a quiet guy outside of lectures, but once he steps in front of his class he changes into this comedian/actor. One of the questions he asked us was how we would group these three words: running, throwing and jumping. We were supposed to put them in an a-group and a b-group. Two other girls and I grouped them as such: running in group a, and throwing/jumping in group b. I had originally wanted to group them as such because in most cases you have to run to throw/jump (hurdles, javelin, long jump, etc). It turned out our grouping was correct, but not for the right reasons. They were grouped like that because running normally takes place on a running track (marathons and the like would be the exceptions). Throwing and jumping can take place anywhere. Very logical, yet I had never thought of the three words like that.

After the lecture I had to sit outside of staffroom because I wasn't allowed to be a part of teabreak (I'm a student). Luckily I sat next to a very bright young man, who I later learned was a so-called "hopefull". DALICE is a boarding school, so every year there are students who don't show up. After so-and-so long time has passed their places are given to other people. "Hopefull's" are the people who hope to be given one of the empty places. I really hope the young man I met gets in, because he seemed very bright and very thoughtfull. He explained a lot of things to me, and we got into the kind of deep conversation I would only have with a fellow Norwegian after several years of knowing them. I was amazed when I found out he is only 18 years old. In a way I'm sort of glad I was all alone today because I don't think I would have started talking to him if I had been with others. For all I know, I might have been at the teabreak/meeting which lasted over two hours.

Flowers of the day.

I was expecting someone to come get me after the meeting was over, but that didn't happen. I started pattering up towards the campus kiosk in hopes of buying more talktime (so I could get a hold of people, and perhaps especially, a taxi). When I got there the kiosk was closed. I stood there thinking for a minute as to if I should walk up to my teachers house, or not. I decided to, and lucky that! I met him and his wife as they were opening their gate to leave for town. Oh lucky day! They generously offered me a ride to town, which I accepted with much gratitude. I walked around with them for a while, bought a cashcard and some more water and went to the StopShop for the first time. Guess what I found there?! Cream soda! I definitly have to go back and buy one before I go home. After that we parted ways, because I had to go to Emma's to try on my dresses.

The dress was gorgeous! It looked exactly like the picture (with the minor changes I had requested of course). I was told they wanted to finish the dresses up properly and asked me graciously to come back tomorrow. So that I will. My companions skirt however was done, so they sent it back to the lodge with me. If you come to Livingstone and have any clothes you want making --> I recommend Emma's. I'm sure they could make clothes with only a picture as their guideline. Plus it only cost me a little over 200 nok/34 usd (including the price of the chitenge material)!

Lizzards on the wall at ZigZag.
Didn't think I'd acctually find a good cup of mocha in Livingstone. But ZigZag proved me wrong!

Stew and nshima.
Cute little guinea pig.

I have been doing research trying to find good places to eat here in Livingstone, and I stumbled upon a B&B called ZigZag. My companion and I decided to try it out today, and I'm glad we did. We found out that they have a lot of the same food types as we're used to at home, but they also have the more traditional nshima with stew. I ordered the beef stew with nshima (it's the first time I've tried it) and it was really good. The stew was good comfort food (I love comfort food) and the nshima didn't really have much taste. The texture was what surprised me the most. It's like cream of wheat. I found out that what everyone had told us was true. I was only able to eat half of the portion I was given, yet my stomach feels like it contains bricks. I'm still stuffed from it, and we ate almost six hours ago.

I guess that's all for now. We have to get up at 05.30 tomorrow morning for a walking safari, so I need to get to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment