Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Safari Day (9)

We started our day off with a walking safari. The alarmclock rang at 05.30, and I hate getting up before 07 (or acctually make that 10), so I didn't exactly jump out of bed with a big smile on my face. We ate a quick breakfast and were picked up by one of our guides. It was drizzling outside, so both me and my companion tried to share the passenger seat in the car. I ended up with the seatbuckle wedged under my butt, which wasn't really comfortable. Our driver was a big man, so I felt like I was trying to make myself as small as possible the whole trip so there was enough space. I had to put my legs to one side because there were two gear sticks, and seeing as I'm not the most petite of girls I was always bumping into the one (there are a lot of bumps in the roads here). That made me even more tense and determined to make myself as small as possible. You can't even begin to imagine how glad I was to get out of the truck! 

Before we started the safari, we were offered a snack and some coffee/tea. I had to run from my coffee earlier because we only had about 8 minutes to eat/drink our breakfast. So I was really happy for some coffee. I was a bit surprised that there wasn't anyone else on the safari (besides my companion, our two guides, our protector and me). I had thought we would be picking up more people, but nope. It was a bit nice because we were given lots of attention. We were also able to see a lot of animals. Among others: white rhino, zebra, giraffe, wildabeast, buffalo, hornbills (amoung them the parks most rare --> 3 red hornbills which we heard are normally very shy), impala, baboons, monkeys and warthogs (or pumba's as we called them). I managed to get quite a few good shots, but also realized that I need a bit more practice at focusing the lense properly. Hopefully I'll get to take a photography class at some point. 


When we got home, we went to marumba market and bought some more fabric. Then we headed over to Emma's to get my dresses. I also ordered one more to be made with the fabric I bought at the market (I didn't get a picture of it before I gave her the material, but you'll see it when the dress is done). We didn't really do much else today (I took a three hour nap) besides going to Waterfront for dinner. Both my companion and I ordered burgers and nice cold drinks to start the weekend off right. We tried looking for hippos and crocodiles along the river, but no such luck today either.... 

If you want to, you can check out what we'll be doing on Sunday: http://www.thezambeziswing.com/fulldayitinerary.htm We'll also be on Mr. Chanters' radioshow, but I'm sure I'll tell you all about it on Sunday, so stay tuned for more craziness from the jungle. *smiley sticking tounge out*

No comments:

Post a Comment