Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Lectures and exchange students

Today was the last day of our Africa preparation course and it was filled with a lot of practicle information about how we should act and how things work in Zambia. I don't understand how it's possible, but I feel more unsettled after hearing all of the info. Yesterday I felt totally ready to leave and wished I would be leaving with the kindergarten students (they leave for Cape Town tomorrow). Today however is a different story. I am a bit relieved that I don't leave for another 13 days (that I have another 13 days of the known and of the luxuries I've become accustomed to). 

We had two main lectures today, one by the universitys' Peace Corps participant from last year and one by an exchange student from Livingstone. It was really good to hear from two people who have lived in Livingstone and are used to the culture and everything else. 

We were told about communication, dresscode, taboos, law&order and were given some tips as to what to do/not do while we're there. One of the things that freaked me out the most was hearing that we have to iron our clothes because of a bug which lays it's eggs on clothes, hatches on your skin and burrows under your skin! :( 

It was very interesting to hear about what people do if you invite them over for dinner or high tea. If you invite them for dinner they'll take the leftovers with them (without asking) just because you obviously have enough food. The Peace Corps participant even heard of a case where someone invited to high tea and the guest emptied the sugar bowl into a bag and put it in their pocket. 

I was also surprised hearing how zambians greet each other. One way of greeting someone is entering a room (without looking at them), lowering yourself below them (to show respect) and then shake their hand (still without looking at them). Another way of greeting is suprisingly like the way we greet each other in TaeKwon-Do. You hold out your hand, put your other hand under the elbow of the hand which is outstreached and curtsie (which is where the greeting differs from our TaeKwon-Do greeting). The last greeting I'll tell you about is for ladies only (the response). When you say hello, you clap in response. But when you clap, you cup your hands.

                                The greeting which is like our tkd greeting.


                               The cupped hand greeting.

There was of course a lot of other stuff I found interesting in the lectures, which I would like to share, but I'm going to end it at that and mention something else before I log off. One of my friends shared a link on FB today. It was a link to a local newspaper and was about exchange students. Every semester new students arrive to take a semester in cold, snowy Norway and they don't always know how to dress properly, mainly because they aren't used to such a cold climate. Being a student myself, I know that you don't always have the money you need to go buying tons of new clothes. That brings me to the point. The article asks people who have any extra clothes (warm) laying around to donate them to the students. I would really like to encourage all of you who live in the area to do so if you have any. It really helps, is much appreciated and can mean the difference between a good experience and a bad one. Here is a link to the article: http://www.itromso.no/nyheter/article513720.ece Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment