For those of you who saw, the day started out pretty badly, but luckily it got better! My mood got better after having breakfast and laying in the sun (I've only dared lie in the shade because of my milk-white skin). I also got a very much needed hug from my companion. Hugs always seem to make things better!
When it finally came time to go to DALICE I tried calling the two taxi drivers we've used so far. Neither of them answered, so we pulled out the list we got from last years students. We called the first taxi driver on the list, and he seemed quite happy to meet us. He came within 5 minutes, even though he wasn't on the job, got out of the car and shook our hands. He introduced us to his friend who was driving, and said that the friend would come pick us up when we were finished.
When we got to DALICE we went to the administration building and met one of the teachers. He seemed to be genuinly interested in how we were, what we had been doing, etc. He introduced us to the principal, who also seemed to take us into her family at DALICE. She also asked the teacher if he would give us a tour of campus, which he did. He answered our questions, and went out of his way to make us feel at home.
| Elephant bone |
We were shown the agriculture program, where they farm both plants and animals. We were told that the plants had been trampled by elephants who came at night to eat whatever they could find. The teacher in charge of the agriculture program said it most likely was because the farm lies on the land the elephants emigrated on before humans built on it. He also said it was wierd that they trampled so many though, because normally it was only the sugarcane plants that got destroyed. We were shown the bones of an elephant they had shot to try to scare the others away. There was a funky smell about them, but it was interesting none the less. We were also shown the pigs and cattle. The little piglets were so sweet. I really wanted to pet all the piggies in the barn, but was unsure if I should....
| Big piggy. We were told they use an american breed. He was humongous! |
| Cute little piglets! |
| The cattle |
The last thing we did before we went home from DALICE was to talk to the physical education teachers. The students have sports activities after school every Tuesday and Thursday. So the teachers took us out on the field and told us a bit about the program as well as the sports. I was interested to see a sport called net ball, which, I was told, is the originator of basketball. I didn't really understand it, but maybe the girls can teach me while I'm here. We're thinking of joining in on Thursday, which should be fun. I'm starting to miss my excercise regime.
No comments:
Post a Comment