Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 7

Amazingly enough, it's already been 7 days! We got up this morning and had a leisurely breakfast. Then we waited for our teacher and the teacher we met yesterday at DALICE. He took us to the department of education to inform them of what we're doing in Livingstone and to introduce us. However, the people we were supposed to meet weren't there, so we have to make a guest appearance on Monday before we start at Nanzanzu.

We were driving to Nanzanzu to drop off some paperwork, when the headmaster (whom we hadn't met before) waved us over as we were driving by one of the markets in town (where supposedly stolen goods are sold). We shook hands and told him our names. He, in return, welcomed us and looked forward to seeing us at Nanzanzu on Monday. I was a bit surprised, because I had thought we would be going on Friday. Apparently not....

Then we had tea break with our teacher at his house. We saw a lot of geckos while we were there, but the most interesting thing we saw was a camaleon. I tried to get a good picture of him, but he moved too quick.

This little guy just crept up on us. I just happened to look to my left and there he was, like 5 cm from my foot!
Teabreak

We met three students after tea break who showed us around, and who were able to give us a better veiw of how it would be if we were students at DALICE. I'm acctually quite glad that we go to school in Norway, because things seem strict here in Livingstone. I would have at least thought that they would be allowed off campus during the weekends, but that isn't so.

The rest of the day went to eating lunch with our teacher and his wife, bathing in the sun (losing my headbands in the pool.... --> I never learn *slaps head with palm*), lounging about and eating at Olga's again. Today I ordered the lasagne which was heavenly! Very homely/comfort foody. I also got to talk to one of the waitresses there. She was telling how she wanted to go into medicine, but she needed to save up enough money first. I sometimes wish I was a leprechaun, who could spin money out of straw. There's so many things I would do both for other people (and if I'm honest, myself). The day was rounded off by a proper tiramisu dessert. Yummy! Lots of mascarpone.

The menus at Olga's all have cute animals sewed on the covers.
Mmm... comfort food!
A bit fuzzy, but it's the best pic of me all day....

I realized when we were at DALICE that we've been here for 7 days and still not tasted nshima. It's almost a disgrace! The students we met showed us the dining hall, and there the cook was busy preparing nshima. He tried to explain how it's prepared, but I really wish I could have a day watching and learning how to make it myself.

Tomorrow we have lectures starting at 8 at DALICE and afterwards we need to go to the seamstresses to try on the dresses. I really, really hope they look good! But for now good people - Peace out!

P.S. I was very happy for the fact that I'm married today. It seems that people here give you more respect, and don't harass you as much, if you're married. Just wish I could walk arm-in-arm through town with my hubby (my rings don't seem to be enough of a clue, plus it would be cool to have him here).

1 comment: